DIY with Sumax Softail Bagger
Harley riders love to customize their bikes – it’s half the fun of owning one! And since we all try to be different, baggers now have the chance to do almost whatever they want with the introduction by Sumax of the new range of bags that you can fit up yourself. As with all Sumax gear, they’re all made in the USA.
Bags come in two styles: stock length for standard softails or extended length if you’re running radius exhausts. The tough GRP bags’ exterior finish is primed with a sandable grey gel-coat whilst inside, it’s wall-to-wall charcoal trunk liner. Sumax say that the bags fit all year Softails except Deuce, Rocker & Cross Bones although it an’t clear to me why not (height/seat position?). All the fittings are included including the 1/4 turn Dzuz fasteners so you can get ’em on and off fast.
Here’s the gotchas!
- Won’t fit Deuce, Cross Bones, Rocker
- Stock turn signals on fender or rails must be moved for clearance
- 13½ in. clearance needed between fender rail bolts & bag’s bottom
- If you ride a wide seat, the lids may not open easily – or at all!
- Rear crash bars on your Softail? Forget it
- Mufflers above axle height – no go
- Lowered suspension with axle/nut above the system, you’ll likley get bag damage
- Fender rails on the Softail Slim are too short and need covering with standard rail cover
- Breakouts need special work but Sumax can supply details
So, the Sumax Softail Bagger kit is available with/without Russ Weirmont Cat Eye LED. Retail upwards of $1,199. We’ll be looking for best price and will post when we see some!